Gum disease is usually caused by poor oral hygiene, but studies have shown that people who have a family history of periodontal problems are more likely to develop gum disease in their life. The first signs of gum disease, or periodontal disease are swollen, inflamed or bleeding gums.
Periodontal disease can have serious consequences if it is ignored and not treated by dentists for a long time. It can even cause serious health problems later on. Bad breath is one of the warning signs of gum disease. Gum disease and tooth decay are usually avoidable with regular attention and some self-discipline.
The two main types of gum disease are gingivitis and periodontal. Gingivitis is known as the milder form of periodontal disease as it causes mild symptoms such as slight gum bleeding and swelling. Poor dental hygiene is the main cause of this though genetics and basic medical conditions can also cause it. With a proper treatment from the dentist in Mumbai like Dr. Mukul, it can be cured.
If gingivitis is left untreated it can lead to periodontal disease. As it grows, it causes inflammation of the gums, in due course the tissue and bone which support them are destroyed and the teeth fall out.
- Eat a healthy diet, a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables
- Avoid too many fizzy, sugary drinks
- Eat foods rich in vitamins E and C
- Reduce stress
- Stop smoking
- Maintain oral hygiene
- Schedule regular checkups with your dentist
Depending on how much the disease has progressed, there are many different periodontal treatments provided by dentists in India as given below.
Non-surgical treatments include;
- Professional cleaning to remove excess plaque build-up before it develops into periodontitis.
- Gum scaling and root planing – in this plaque and tartar are scraped away and planned to make the area smooth and plaque-free. The hard plaque from below the gum line on the teeth is removed by scraping with a metal object or electronic instrument.
- Pocket Reduction Surgery – tissue of the gums is folded back and the bacteria produced in the “pocket” as a result of gum disease, are cleaned away. To help the gum tissue to reattach itself to the bone the surfaces of the damaged bone is also smoothed.
- Guided Tissue Regeneration – this helps the bone and the tissue to grow around a tooth that is in danger of falling out. The soft tissue is pulled away, the tooth is cleaned and the infected tissue is removed.
- Bone Grafts – this is similar to guided tissue regeneration. Here in order to encourage re-growth after the tooth has been cleaned and pulled away from the soft tissue the bone is filled in with graft material.
- Gum Surgery – In this a soft tissue is taken from one area and it is attached to the area affected by gum recession. Generally rooting and planning is done before the actual grafting.
Periodontal disease not only makes you unpleasant, but the bacteria in the mouth can travel through the body, and cause heart disease and stroke, it can also make diabetes worse. So, follow good oral hygiene and prevent any form of gum disease through periodontal treatments in India offered by best Dental clinic of Dr. Mukul in Mumbai, India.