Cosmetic dentistry or aesthetic dentistry generally refers to any dental work that improves the appearance (not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite. Aesthetic dentistry has made it possible for anyone to have a smile that is no less than that of a celebrity.
A cosmetic dentist in Mumbai like Dr. Mukul helps to give you the smile that you dream of. If you have crooked teeth, deformed ones, or are just missing a couple of them, a visit to one of these professionals is the best thing to do.
There are two types of cosmetic dentistry – orthodontics and prosthodontics. An orthodontist corrects the existing problems with the structure of the jaw or teeth by using braces etc. Whereas, a prosthodontist actually replaces the missing teeth or repairs the damaged ones. If you need an implant, a partial, a crown or even a set of dentures you will need to visit a prosthodontist.
- Smile Makeovers -This involves a cosmetic, facial rejuvenation or a dental procedure to improve the look of your smile.
- Teeth Whitening -Bleaching is used to enhance your smile by brightening your existing natural teeth. Teeth that are discolored, stained, or have been darkened because of injury or drinking habits can be brightened up.
- Invis align – It is an innovative system to align teeth discreetly, along with inconspicuous aligners instead of metal braces. Clear, custom-made aligners, which are thin, clear and removable, are used to correct uneven teeth. It gives you a dazzling and flawless smile.
- Dental Implants – Teeth that look, feel and function just like your own, it is impossible to tell a tooth implant from a real tooth. Implants are an excellent alternative to traditional bridges and dentures. These are used to replace a single tooth,several teeth or all of your teeth. Dental implants are a better solution to the problem of missing teeth.
- Crowns – These are synthetic caps, generally made up of a material such as porcelain. It is placed on the top of a tooth to restore the appearance and function of teeth after a curative treatment like root canal.
- Dental Bondings – This can rectify crooked teeth, broken teeth, fill the gap between teeth, modify the shape of teeth, cover metal fillings, lengthen shorter teeth and wipe out discoloration due to age, smoking or genetics.
- Onlays/Inlays – This offers a simple way to shield and restore a large section of damaged decayed and heavily restored teeth. Unlike crowns, these cosmetic dental devices cover only a portion of teeth and involve far less tooth preparation. Inlays are indirect fillings applied in back teeth. Large inlays which cover the cusps are called onlays.
- Porcelain veneer – It is a thin shell of porcelain that is bonded onto the front surface of a tooth so to improve its cosmetic appearance. Compared to dental bonding porcelain veneers look more lifelike.
- Gum Contouring – It is a surgical process and is carried out in order to correct ‘gummy smiles’.
So, whatever dental procedure one may opt for to get that perfect smile, good oral hygiene and a good diet is very important for maintaining the teeth in good shape. The permanence of most aesthetic dentistry procedures depends on the patient’s level of oral hygiene.